Contact DisComforting Ignorance

Have thoughts, comments, criticisms, requests, or proselytization? Email disco.igno@gmail.com

No prayers. (Why not?)

Monday, April 6, 2009

An Update and a Comment

The Update
I am a bit stunned to see how long it has been since I last posted. Updating this blog and interacting with everyone was always an enjoyable part of the day. I have, however, had the past few months constitute the worst period of my life. Writing that at such a young age I am sure that I will experience far worse. But having lived probably a third to a fourth of my life, now, I feel it's significant and has made me feel as though I've matured in thought, but yet to meet it in action.

The Comment
While I haven't been updating, I have been reading all my comments as they are emailed to me. I still receive at least once a week, even though I haven't been updating. I thought I'd share one I received last week that was rather entertaining. This one was posted to my entry Arguing for a Christian God which explained on a prompt I put forth for Christian readers to convince me, specifically, of the Christian God. This is from a reader named "searching_agnostic":
hi - I'd love to read a good justification for Christainity also, as far as I can tell, from what most historians believe Paul wrote ~50's AD, we can be moderately confident that Paul, Peter, John and James believed Jesus was God and was ressurrected. This to me gives only three possibilities, 1) they were claiming the truth, and He was God
2) Peter, John and James were lying for reasons unknown. - why tho? no satisfactory answer found.
3) Peter, John and James where fooled, Paul was lying, or nuts.
help required to work out the likelihoods of each.
as an asside I'd feel much more comfortable with my Agnostic beliefs if the big bang was false.
I wonder if there is a reverse-Poe's law. From the several comments I have received of theists pretending to be atheists, I am unconvinced there is.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry you haven't been doing so well. I'll keep you in my prayers. And I'll even go give blood to the red cross, just for you :)!

I hope you get well/ or past what ever dificulties in life you have met, soon.

In Christian Love,
Brittany

Anonymous said...

I'll organize a blood donor days in May with Minnesota Atheists just for you. (I was already doing that, but I have to at least cancel out the christianity.) :)

stuart said...

I am writing this post to all atheists who have a vested interest in debunking the myth of Jesus Christ. I am sorry if it bothers anyone that I am not continue the discussions that are going on your blog. Please contact me at the email address below and I promise I will never post on your blog again.

Here's what's up. A number of fundamentalist Christian blogs have come out swinging against a new book by Stephan Huller called the Real Messiah. The most recent being:

http://atheistwatch.blogspot.com/

But there are many others. The only allies he seems to have on the web are a bunch of Jewish bloggers who like him because his mother was a Frankist (see wikipedia for more about this sect).

In any event Huller's book presents evidence that a two thousand year old throne in Venice proves that Jesus was not and never claimed to be the messiah.

Huller is going to appear on CNN in two weeks as part of his promotion of the book. As a big fan of his work I wanted to alert my fellow bloggers about this interview and have as many of us who have read the book to direct questions which challenge the existence of God and the whole Christian-fascist paradigm.

If you are interested in getting more information about his appearance please contact me at mastersonstuart@yahoo.com. If you haven't read the book here is a blog posting to familiarize yourself with his basic points when you do the phone in show:

http://therealmessiahbook.blogspot.com

Thanks again

Stuart

Anonymous said...

There IS something I've always wondedered about. I even remember, as a small child thinking, "I wonder how come we are different from the animals? How come we can THINK and they can't." Of course, growing up, I realized animals CAN think, but just not like us. We STILL have "it" over the animals. But what is "it?" How come we can invent things? How come we have pets? How come we make love face to face? How come we have jury duty? How come... how come... how come... HOW COME I still have so many unanswered questions after so many years? If there really ISN'T a god, then how COME all of these things? Why DON'T monkeys have a court system? Why DON'T birds build their nests with a roof over them? Why DON'T caterpillers turn into fish or reptiles or birds when they come out of their cacoons? I'm skeptical of a god, but yet, what about all those unanswered questions? We can send people to the moon, but still can't answer my very FIRST childhood question: How come we can think and animals can't? What makes US so special over and above everything else? And why DO we have a conscience? A conscience isn't something that could "evolve" like an arm or leg. Where DID it come from? sigh.